Organizations around the globe have adopted server virtualization. According to Gartner, virtualization has surpassed 70 percent of all x86 server workloads. (1) Based on the proven benefits of virtualization at the server level, organizations have started to also virtualize their networks. Gartner predicts that by the end of 2016, more than 10,000 enterprises worldwide will have deployed Software-defined Networks (SDN), a tenfold increase from end-of-year 2014. (2)
As virtualization adoption expands to include the network layer, organizations still need to enforce the same security, compliance, and governance policies that they do in traditional compute and network environments. This creates a challenge for the traditional perimeter model. Network Function Virtualization (NFV) and SDN introduce the separation of the data plane from the control plane. Perimeter controls also sit outside the virtual fabric, which prevents them from visualizing and securing traffic between virtual machines (the so-called east-west traffic). With security threats on the rise and attack techniques becoming more and more sophisticated, securing your virtual infrastructure from within has become a requirement.
Catbird® is a pioneer and leader in software-defined security for virtual infrastructure. Catbird’s software suite of products was designed from the ground up to provide visibility into and protection of private clouds and virtual Data Centers, and is available for both VMware and OpenStack.
- Catbird Insight automatically and continuously discovers all assets in your virtual fabric, allows the grouping of these assets into logical Catbird TrustZones® and visualizes asset relationships and the east-west traffic flows between them for improved analytics.
- Catbird Secure enables automated enforcement of flexible security policies across Catbird TrustZones. The platform detects and alerts on potential security incidents, initiates corrective enforcement actions and provides instant compliance reporting for major standards and mandates.
Catbird software enables organizations to:
- Get a perfect inventory of all virtual assets and an intuitive way to logically group them.
- Visualize and analyze how virtual assets interact to validate and fine-tune security policies.
- Increase security via automated security policy deployment.
- Lower operational costs associated with compliance reporting.
- Enable smooth migration to micro-segmentation or Software-Defined Networking (SDN) in a structured and methodical way.
(1) Gartner Group, “Magic Quadrant for x86 Server Virtualization Infrastructure”, 07.14
(2) Gartner Group, “Predicting SDN Adoption”, Andrew Lerner, 12.14